Ten Reasons to Co-Own our Club
14 June 2023
Next month it will be 13 years since we became fan owned. With ownership models of football clubs now under the microscope more than ever, the collective strength that flows from our supporter-ownership model is more important than at any point in our journey to this point.
We are proud to be a supporter owned Club although we need the active involvement of as many of our supporters as possible. We urge all supporters to unite behind the Club and becomea member, that will provide you with a voice to be heard. You can purchase a membership and become an owner of the Club via the Shop on the website, please use this Membership link to download the form.
The founding manifesto on which the club was built in 2010 is just as appropriate today:
1. Enhancing the social, cultural and economic value of the Club to its Communities and by acting as a responsible custodian of the club for future generations;
2. Upholding the mutual ownership of the Club operating democratically, fairly and transparently;
3. Ensuring the Club operates with financial responsibility enabling the Club to be run for the long term interest of the Community;
4. Providing sporting facilities and opportunities regardless of age, income, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexuality, religious or moral belief; and
5. Playing at the highest level possible, but always operating in a financially responsible and prudent manner.
Here are 10 good reasons why you should co-own Merthyr Town Football Club:
It allows you to stand for election as a Board member
You will receive a copy of the Board minutes
You can cast a vote to elect the club’s board
Fans will be consulted on the design of new playing shirts
You will be able to attend Special General Meetings & the Annual General Meeting
Shape club policy and put ideas forward in the form of Resolutions and Members’ Votes
You could benefit from priority tickets for events and cup games
Receive your own Membership Card, with discount on beverages purchased at the bar
Support our cause and demonstrate that the fan-owned model is the future of sustainable, community-focused football.
We’ve shaped the start of supporter-ownership, join us and let’s shape the future
Unlocking the fan/people resource in our community-owned club could provide us with a competitive advantage over other privately owned clubs, where decisions can often be out of touch with the majority of supporters points of view. To achieve this we need to smash the glass ceiling and grow our society membership to the size of support that will allow the club to develop organically. So now is the time to act and become a member to help deliver our aims and support the team rebuilding process!
The collective voice of the fans is only as strong as it’s membership and by becoming a member you will help to ensure that the voice of the supporters is heard. The Board continue to develop strong working links with the community.
We put supporters and community at the heart of our club, as a demonstration that fans can have a powerful voice in the way football could be run. The more members we have, the louder our collective voice will be.
Have you renewed your membership this year?