Merthyr Town 2 Metropolitan Police 2
17 Sep 2018, Monday


FROM the opening whistle, the Merthyr chase was on with the Police from Surrey copping trouble in the box.
With Kerry Morgan in fine form on the left, there were early signs of a goals feast. But after The Martyrs led 2-0, The Met pinched  a goal just before the break, equalised four minutes from the end and looked more likely to win with Merthyr under the cosh as three extra minutes were signalled.
With four wins out of four away, at home it is now just one victory from four  for Merthyr.
There weren't any policemen in the visitors' ranks but they did include two Welshmen, Thomas Williams, goalkeeper, and Samuel Williams, defender.
Gavin Williams' outfit attacked quckly, getting an early flag-kick after Ian Traylor, Tom Meechan and Morgan combined.
Then on five minutes Merthyr earned another corner after Charlie Wassamer cleared from  Traylor.
The Police broke quickly through the middle and the dangerous Jack Mazzoni brought  a save from Steve Cann, who has signed with Joe Perry injured.
A goal  was coming and it arrived in the 11th minute. Morgan kept the ball in play on the left, crossed and captain Ashley Evans rushed in to head past Thomas Williams.
It  was another header on 18 minutes, again a centre from Morgan with Traylor at the end of it and 2-0 to Merthyr.
Mazzoni, Ethan Chislett and John Gilbert swapped passed before Jarrad Wright headed away danger,
There were a couple of hacking fouls on Merthyr players. The home defence at times seemed a little lax under pressure as Met Police had plenty of the play after their early blows.
From a Joe Hunt ball, Morgan hit the post but seconds before the break, John Gilbert got clear, and unmarked, fired home.
The first half had been a fast encounter but Merthyr lost some of their edge in the second half.
Chislett fired a warning over the bar. Cann had to punch out one effort and Kyle Patten did well to stop Gilbert.
Merthyr replied. Morgan had a shot saved, the 'keeper punched out from Traylor and then  the same player just failed to get onto a  ball from Adam Davies.
On 62 minutes Owain Jones, on loan from Nuneaton, replaced Meechan. Jones forced Williams to concede a corner.
Merthyr looked like getting a third goal but Jones went through on his own but sent the ball wide of the post with only the goalie to beat.
Corey Jenkins came on for Morgan on  74 minutes with Lee Lucas, ex- Swansea, Motherwell and Burton, replacing Kieran Lewis with 10 minutes left.Merthyr's earlier positive attacking faded and the Police often threatened. Cann punched away from Gilbert.It was probably no surprise when on 86 minutes, Gilbert on the left, pushed the ball through for Mazzoni to hit the leveller.
Merthyr had to hang on to keep a point.They dropped to fourth in the table but with the top six teams now  all on 14 points.
* Defender Miles John has signed for Mangotsfield United.

Newsletter Sign-up



View All