Merthyr Town 2 Redditch United 1
28 Mar 2016, Monday

Jon Brown is mobbed for his wonder strike (2).jpg (1)

The Martyrs made it six wins in a row with another fine win against a table-topping side as they came from behind to beat Redditch United and put a dent in the Reds' championship hopes.

With Gethin Jones still out injured the only changes from the team that started at Histon in the previous game were Corey Jenkins in for Chris Hugh and Kayne McLaggon and Jordan Chappelle on the bench.

Not a common sight at this level of football was both sides fielding goalkeepers with full international caps - Glyn Garner for Wales, of course, and the visitors' Jose Veiga having represented Cape Verde.

There was a very uneventful opening to the game, with the first corner of the game falling to Redditch after 23 minutes and being headed wide. Immediately after that Kayne McLaggon came on for Ryan Prosser who had seemed rather out of sorts and was clearly not fully fit.

Just after the half hour mark the first on target attempt at goal by either side produced the lead for Redditch. The ball was played across from the left and turned into the middle of the goal by Sam Merson despite the attentions of Rhys Baggridge.

But the Martyrs were back on terms just a couple of minutes later when Kayne McLaggon blocked a clearance about 35 yards out, ran on and fired the ball into the net from just inside the area with the keeper just unable to keep it out.

Merthyr then took the lead a couple of minutes before the break when McLaggon challenged for the ball on the edge of the Redditch area. It broke for Jon Brown, and he scored his first Merthyr goal in fine style, hitting a great shot into the top corner from 20 yards.

The Martyrs pressed Redditch back at the start of the second half, and on 50 minutes Ian Traylor set up Kayne McLaggon for a shot that went just over the bar. However, that was the closest Merthyr were to come to another goal as Redditch began to have most of the play, forcing the Martyrs onto the defensive. However, the pressure was absorbed, with Glyn Garner having to do well to push away a 25-yard shot after 73 minutes as Redditch really went for an equaliser with a shot five minutes later going just past the post.  Garner then had to make another good save, dropping on a shot on the line.

Chris Hugh replaced Corey Jenkins on 82 minutes as a more defensive player, and the Martyrs continued to keep the visitors at bay, with the closest they came to goal being a shot on 88 minutes that went across goal and just wide.

Right on the 90 minute mark, with Redditch about to take a corner James Bloom came on for Ian Traylor to provide a bit more height to defend it as Merthyr pulled everybody back into their own area. Then in the third minute of added time Redditch were given a free kick just outside the area on the left and sent their keeper up for it, but the kick was cleared, and although Redditch thought they'd won a corner on the other side a goal kick was given and that was the final action as Merthyr held on for the win with a great team performance.

Newsletter Sign-up



View All