Merthyr Town 2 - Weymouth 1
13 Feb 2019, Wednesday


The Martyrs  snapped at the heels of the teams in the  play-off spots as they dealt a blow to Weymouth's title hopes.
Tuesday night's win saw Merthyr  in seventh place, three points behind fifth-placed Poole Town and with two games in hand.
On-loan Ben Swallow's superb pin-point pass  which led to the second goal - by Owain Jones- had the fans gulping in amazement as the ball found his colleague who had drifted from opponents and lashed his shot home to delight on the terraces.
A stoppage-time score from the seasiders made it a nervy end as the referee kept playing on.
Barry-born Swallow, lent out by Weston, showed speed and good delivery throughout as Merthyr deservedly made it 13 wins this season.It was a pity that the gate was a poor 327.
The Terras were tormented from the start with Ian Traylor trying a shot-over the bar-and Ryan Prosser also having the same fate after a surging run from Jamie Veale.
Weymouth distributed the ball  neatly but Merthyr looked more dangerous.Lee Lucas sent the ball through but Traylor couldn't get to it.At the other end, Adam Davies firmly cleared a centre from the left.
On 19  minutes, a Prosser run down the right found the nippy Traylor whose shot from an angle squeezed into the far corner of the net past goalkeeper Tom McHale to put Merthyr ahead.
Swallow sent an effort wide and then forced a corner,which was followed by two more.
Cameron Murray worked well on the Weymouth left but the home rearguard was in form.Prosser had a chance from Swallow but could only head the ball down.
Murray again threatened but was foiled by a solid tackle from Davies.
Weymouth started the second period determinedly. Jake McCarthy had his name taken after a foul on Lucas.
Traylor had a cross cleared  as Weymouth were again pushed back.
But the Dorset men enjoyed a good spell including finding the net  but a goal was disallowed.
They altered things with Abdul Baggie replacing defender Ashley Wells.
Swallow was again in action, setting up Prosser but Weymouth cleared.
Then Prosser found Traylor whose drive flashed just past the post.
When Weymouth responded, Lucas produced a firm tackle. Then Merthyr boss Gavin Williams brought on Jones and Kiieran Lewis for Traylor and Prosser.
The tactics worked (although Traylor never likes being substituted) and Swallow played the ball through perfectly for Jones, who rejoined the club from Nuneaton, to slam in the second goal after  70 minutes.
It   now looked tough for the visitors, and Swallow tried a shot, which flew over the bar.
Weymouth  had the league's top scorer Brandon Goodship, but he didn't look like netting against Merthyr.
They had their share of the attacking but Josh Carmichael shot wide. Jarrad Wright and Matthew Harris did a sterling job for the home defence.
On 90 minutes Ben Thomson pulled a goal back for Weymouth who sensed an upset but with home fans urging the referee to halt proceedings, Merthyr deservedly took the points.
Tom Meechan and Craig Reddy were the unused substitutes for The Martyrs.
This was only Weymouth's fifth league defeat of the season, and they were unable to leapfrog second-placed Salisbury, four points behind top team Taunton,who,however, have announced that their captain Matt Wright had received an offer from a Swedish club.


Newsletter Sign-up



View All