Merthyr Town 1 Chesham United 0
23 Dec 2018, Sunday


A Christmas cracker of a goal from Merthyr's Kerry Morgan and a post-match incident where people perhaps thought it was Boxing Day already were the main points from  this pre-Christmas clash.
After  the final whistle, a Chesham official went on to the field and allegedly tried to head-butt a Martyrs player.  All the players then got embroiled in a free-for-all in the centre of the pitch.The referee eventually restored order and the beaten Bucks side trudged off.Merthyr  manager Gavin Williams kept his players on the field to receive the praise from the Merthyr faithful fans.
The Chesham man involved in the dust-up had been barracking the referee in the first half,and censored by the crowd for his language while sitting in the visitors' section.
This was Merthyr's first victory in five games and kept them in sixth place in the table,just outside the play-offs.
It was a heroic  victory with Merthyr wiithout Joe Perry, Adam Davies, Joe Hunt, Jarrad Wright,Corey Jenkins and Owain Jones.
Chesham were pegged back early on with Tom Meechan just being  caught offside from a Morgan pass.
Much-travelled Jefferson Louis tested young 'keeper Lewis Webb who punched the ball away.
Traylor and Meechan combined again but Jeanhal Prosper cleared. Bradley Clayton pressed only for Merthyr's Matthew Harris to win the tackle.
Webb did well , and tipped a shot away from Dave Pearce.Louis sent a snap-shot over the bar before at the other end, Craig McDonnell was close with a header from an Ian Traylor free-kick.
Ryan Prosser  chased a ball from Morgan  but Luke Warner Eley was quick to clear.
Chesham's shooting was rather wild, and Ben Casey hit an effort over the bar.
Merthyr didn't  get many goalbound shots in but Morgan was wide after a Prosser-Traylor move.
Merthyr defended solidly with sound tackling from Harris.
Before the break, Casey clipped an effort wide of the right-hand post.
The second-half livened up the match.Webb confidently held a flag-kick from the left. Morgan pushed forward to open atacks but Louis again threatened  to head wide from  corner.
The visitors enjoyed a good spell but Merthyr held firm, Young Cavan Williams replaced Merthyr's Meechan on 63 minutes.Both defences  did well but it took a terrific shot from Morgan on 67 minutes to break the deadlock. He burst through the middle determinedly and,from distance,  drove home, giving 'keeper Ben Goode no chance.It looked  a goal all the way as Morgan had the target in his sights.
Play stepped up with Webb in good form when tested.Cavan Williams surged on a run  but his effort was off target.
Ronny Mfinda  replaced Louis to ring the changes and Chesham, winners in their past four games after a poor start to the season, had chances but efforts  were high and wide.Casey and Jon Jo Bates, substitute, blazed over the bar.
Traylor made way for Craig Reddy on 83 minutes.
Merthyr were unable to add to their score but held out to win  with a gritty performance. Webb was to the rescue with a timely save low down in stoppage time.
Then came the after-match  bash which saw angry comments hurled at the Chesham directors' box by home fans with replies, one Chesham man deliberating the rules of the game.

Newsletter Sign-up



View All